Monday, January 12, 2009

The Response Not Given

To our loyal reader, I would like to apologize for the long layoff between posts for me. I had encountered some difficulties with my computer and now that it has been fixed I am hoping I can give you something to read while making your many potty breaks during the day.

So while we were away, it looks as if the Hawks put up some pretty good numbers and did not lose many games. However, it looks like their past two games put a serious damper on the team's prospects and opinion from around the league. These two losses occurred right as I was telling everyone that the Hawks had cemented themselves as one of the top 10, heck maybe even 5, teams in the league. Boy is my face red now. My problem with these two losses was not the way it happened, although a beat down is never something to be happy about, but rather how flat they came out in the second game.

If you are reader on this blog, you are either a huge Hawks fan who keeps up with the news surrounding the team or, you accidentally found this page and stuck around for the pics of the beautiful girls that are littered throughout the page. (You can be both). To the people in the second group stop reading here as there will be no pics in my post today (except for this one), to the Hawks fans, I have to assume you read Sekou Smith's blog posted on ajc.com. If you do not, then you are missing out on some seriously good Hawks insight and I highly recommend you stop reading this and go there to read more.

In Sekou's post before the Magic game last Friday night he spoke about how angry Woodson was with the team due to their effort at home a few nights earlier. In fact, Sekou said "If the Hawks’ don’t kick off the game with their intensity sky-high I’ll be afraid for their safety." This was due to the earlier comments where he proceeded to tell us how Woodson just chewed into our players not giving preference to who was getting yelled at. He went on to describe the practice session as "a session the family could [not] have attended, as there were far too many interesting words uttered by Woodson for anyone with sensitive ears to be allowed in."

So Woodson laid into the team and what happened? The team came out extremely flat falling behind 22-6. The game was over before it even began. How to explain the coach reeming the players and the players responding with a terrible game? I'll give you one hint, it involves the fact our coach is not the one to get the job done. I know you are thinking "great another fire Mike Woodson post, what a surprise." But I am here not to say that, rather to say he has done his job and now it is time for the next guy to come in and as we say at UGA, finish the drill.

Woodson developed our players and they look legit now. But let's be honest, the team does not respond to him and from the looks of it do not even care to implement his coaching strategies. The reason the Hawks have a winning record right now is due to their talent level, but the reason the team could win more, starts and ends with the coach. If you wanted another reason to be angry at the season, look no further than the flat game we played last Friday night. Thanks to the extreme practice beforehand, I am afraid to see what would have happened had the team not been chewed out.

1 comment:

Ryno said...

It's okay, I was late to the show on this one, long week of being a banker.